App Tunneling > AppConfig.org (Xamarin Android)
This tutorial will walk developers through how to create a tunnel for a mobile app’s network traffic to access intranet resources by utilizing the Android per-app-VPN capability as prescribed by the AppConfig.org standard. The steps in this tutorial are done with the assumption that you have gone through the steps in General Setup tutorial.
- Android 5.0+ (Lollipop)
- AirWatch Console version 8.1 and above
- AirWatch Tunnel or a Per App VPN Solution supported by AirWatch
- Android Tunnel client application
No additional code is required to leverage Per-app VPN. The app must be deployed under “management” to the device by AirWatch. During distribution, AirWatch entitles the application to be an approved user of the Per-App VPN utilized.
Per-app VPN configuration is setup via the following steps:
- Infrastructure configuration – Per-app VPN infrastructure is installed and configured.
- Profile configuration – Per-app VPN profile is configured via the AirWatch Console
- App deployment/configuration – The application is added to the AirWatch Console and the Per-app VPN profile is assigned to the application
This tutorial assumes that the Per-app VPN infrastructure is in place already. For information on AirWatch tunnel please refer to Installation and Admin guides on the myAirWatch Resource portal.
A VPN Client application is required on the Android Device. AirWatch Tunnel servers have an Android companion app that needs to be deployed.
- Log into the AirWatch console and navigate to Devices > Profiles > List View
- Click Add then add profile
- Select Android
- Select VPN and click Configure
- Select the VPN Connection type. AirWatch tunnel is selected for the Tutorial.
- Click Save & Publish
App Deployment & Configuration
- Log into the AirWatch console and navigate to Apps & Books
- For this tutorial, Dolphin Browser will receive the Per-app VPN profile
- Select the Public Tab and click Add Application
- Select the Platform and enter the name of the application
- Select Dolphin
- Select the assignment tab and assign the app to the desired Smart Group(s)
- Select the Deployment Tab
- Check the “Use VPN” box and select the VPN Profile from the drop down
- Click Save and Publish
- Verify device assignment
- Click Publish to confirm settings